Colonoscopies are important for detecting early signs of colon cancer. You’ll be lightly sedated during the process so you won’t feel anything and they are rather easy procedures. It’s the prep that is the difficult part. There are several different types of colonoscopy prep available, so check with your doctor to find the one that best suits you.
Whichever route you choose to take, here are some ways to make the experience a little more comfortable.
- Make sure you have the softest toilet paper you can find. At a time like this you don’t want to be cheap. The softer the better.
- Get some baby wipes. These will help you feel cleaner and more refreshed. The wet cloths clean your skin better than dry paper and leave you feeling more comfortable.
- Get Desitin or another diaper rash cream. Use it as often as you need. This is going to keep your sensitive area from feeling raw and burned. Start applying the cream before your first visit to the bathroom.
- Poo Pouri is a good item even when you aren’t going through your colonoscopy prep. Just a little spray in the toilet water before going to the bathroom really does eliminate the odor. The others in your house will not even know what you have been up to in the bathroom.
- Keep something like a magazine or an iPad in the bathroom to pass the time when you have to stay there for a while.
These items might seem frivolous, but they will make all the difference during your colonoscopy prep!